Helping grow your business with a smile.Yolanda Salgado-Tovar and Diane Ouellette are Employment Services Specialists with the Workforce Resource Center at the County of Santa Barbara. They had a lively exchange with host Mark Sylvester about unique programs that are freely available to business owners and job seekers. Mark was the recipient of such a program in the early ’70’s and starts the show with an anecdote about his experience – spoiler, it was all good. The ladies represent services available in Santa Barbara, yet there are similar services available in the area you live in. The discussion went into detail on these various programs and services available free of charge:
- Facility Use – They can provide you with a location to interview potential employees.
- Recruitment Assistance – They can help you advertise your job openings, determine the skills you need in a new employee, conduct virtual recruitments, or provide labor market information.
- Work Experience – Santa Barbara County’s Paid Work Experience Program offers local businesses an opportunity to have extra help in the work place while offering real work experience to people on the road to self-sufficiency. By providing supervision, employers can benefit from having interns help up to 30 hours per week with the day to day functions of a business at no charge. In fact, Worker’s Compensation insurance is provided.
- Reimbursements – The Workforce Investment Act’s On-the-Job Training Program is an opportunity to train your new hires, or employees you wish to promote, with the skills they need while receiving reimbursements for your training costs.
- Layoff Assistance – Their professional staff can develop a customized plan to ease the stress of lay-off while developing reemployment opportunities. Our services include on-site or Workforce Resource Center presentations regarding unemployment insurance, labor market information and employment assistance such as job search and resume development.
Workforce Resource Center
130 E. Ortega Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
(805) 884-6823 office w (805) 319-0037 work cell