Quality of character is your competitive advantage
Hiring is the key.”
John Greathouse, Professor of Practice at UCSB, co-founder of Rincon Ventures and renowned Santa Barbara entrepreneur sat for an extended conversation with Mark and Patrick about teaching, writing, and coaching. John’s a local treasure.
This wide-ranging conversation covered a lot of ground including:
- What’s’ a Professor of Practice – and who else at UCSB is one? Hint, previous podcast guest Trip Hawkins
- A brief dip into John’s history which reads like a history of Tech in Santa Barbara
- How he manages to fill a room at UCSB with 350 students reliability every quarter.
- His three things – you know we love lists of three
- – Investing
- – Teaching
- – Writing
- How his 4th-grade teacher told him he was a writer – at that young age. You can now find John’s writing at Forbes, and the Wall Street Journal
- Why he loves writing so much (it’s about endorphins firing)
- We talked at length about Corporate Ethics (you’ll remember a similar conversation with Sarah about Ethical Marketing)
- John tells a great story (that he tells his students) about Contextual Ethics
- What’s your company’s Moral Code – with a shout out to another podcast guest, Shaun Tomson – Commit to the Next Wave
- Love the story about the Bell Ringer Award that he used to have. You will too.
- More about Rincon Ventures and the ethos that they’ve created there