“Awareness is the beginning of change.”
Lois Phillips, Ph.D. has accomplished a lot since she moved here in 1972. Mark and Patrick had an insightful conversation with this Communications guru.
This wide-ranging conversation covered a lot of ground including:
- Great companion reading for this episode is her blog post, Are You Ready?
- How do people reveal themselves?
- How you build trust as an interviewer (or anyone asking questions)
- What’s the secret to good interviewing?
- – Listening
- – You make the guest think
- – You are genuinely interested (in the subject)
- “When I don’t breathe, I get dumb.”
- What’s your Sparkle Factor? Great way to describe charisma
- She’s focused a career and lifetime on gender issues and communications
- Studying cultures that empower women that are coming up through the ranks
- “What happens in the moment of interruption?”
- Her thoughts on millennials and their communication skills
- What’s most fun about her work? Writing
- Networking tips for Mixers (here’s Sparkle again)
- – Start with a question
- – “What are you excited about?”
- – “What brought you here?”
- – Be curious
- How you find the thread in a conversation, then pull it
- Her favorite Maya Angelou quotes: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- The importance of Likeability
Note: Lois has added a tremendous amount of value to the community, and we didn’t talk about these accomplishments:
- Got her Ph.D. from UCSB
- Started Antioch University
- Founder of AWCSB